Friday, May 14, 2010

False Indigo 198/365

A couple of years ago I went to the United States Botanic Garden with my friend Michael and I kept seeing these beautiful purple flowers and I continually commented on how much I liked them and so Michael was like "You need to order some of these since they keep catching your eye".  So I took his advise and came home looked up the Baptisia (False Indigo) for this zone and the information said it takes up 5 years to really be set and flourishing.  I am happy to report that I  mine has been planted 2 years and it bloomed today!!!!  Here it is:

 P.S.  I ordered mine from Garden Crossings and I most say that I have ordered several plants from them including a Nelly Moser Clematis that arrived yesterday and I am extremely pleased with their website and service.  I always feel like I need to say that I am not paid for these comments in any way they are strictly my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. cool looking plant and blooming after only 2 years thats awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know. DH brought me one home from the nursery this week, still need to figure out where to plant it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele, the websites say full sun. Mine is probably in partial sun and is doing fine. Just know that the stems are floppy for the first couple of years but it is suppose to be nice and hearty after that. I staked mine the first year since it was a very windy year and I was afraid it wouldn't hold up. Don't expect it to bloom this year but you will be thrilled next year. Also plant it where you want to it stay as it has a very long tap root and you do not want to move it once you have it planted. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete